We may have been forecast snow this week but it has still arrived in a somewhat unexpected fashion. After decent flurries on Tuesday brought about 5cm to the mountain resorts, Thursday afternoon saw the start of heavy snow reaching way down to the valley floor. Friday is, therefore, feeling like a beautiful day in Les Arcs, with the soft powder setting us up nicely for the start of the UK half-term holidays.
Snow was completely expected on Thursday, with the freezing level anticipated to hover around the 1600-metre mark. However, with temperatures dropping on Wednesday, the whole of the Tarentaise has experienced a real cold snap, with any precipitation falling as big sticky, fluffy snowflakes.
Overall, this inundation has delivered between 10-25cm of fresh snow to the pistes of Les Arcs and brought the winter landscape right back down to the valley floor. There might be a few more flurries on Friday morning but the sun should be out by mid-afternoon, making for a glorious day on the hill.
Read more from our Les Arcs reporter, Sam, on his blog.
More Les Arcs Insights...
- Half-term holidays, full-time fun in Les Arcs
- Les Arcs Dump Alert - 14th February 2020
- Expect the unexpected in Les Arcs
- Les Arcs Dump Alert - 5th February 2020
- Les Arcs in February 2020 - What weather to expect & what to do
- Riding the Les Arcs powder, Les Arcs Region