The Fête de la Musique is a celebration that takes place every summer solstice on 21st June in cities, towns and villages across France.
More than a music festival, the Les Arcs Fête de la Musique is a free event that spills out from the bars and restaurants onto the streets and encompasses every type of music imaginable, from local amateur teen bands to professional classical musicians, from club DJ’s to traditional folk bands.
Launched in 1982 by the French Ministry for Culture, the Fete is different from a music festival in that all the concerts and performances are free to the public and none of the artists are paid. The Fete de la Musique is now celebrated all over the world, where it is more commonly refered to as World Music Day.
Fête de la Musique is one of those certain nights throughout the year when the French authorities waive normal licensing laws, allowing the revelry to continue as long as there are people with the stamina to enjoy it – it is definitely one of the not-to-be-missed events of the summer social calendar.
For more details of programmes please visit their website directly. Programmes are not normally available until June at the earliest. You should also check with your local tourist office or your hotel for details of events near you.
- Coordination Generale de la Fete de la Musique 21 rue de la Villette Paris
More Les Arcs Insights...
- Le Tour de France 2020 comes to Les Arcs
- La Folie Douce lands in Les Arcs winter 2019/20
- Latest gear - Mountain running equipment 2019
- Watch Perseids Meteors 2019 in Les Arcs
- Countdown to the Tour de France 2019 in Les Arcs
- Insider's guide to L'Etape du Tour 2019