Les Arcs is organising a whole host of events and celebrations to mark its 50th anniversary, from parties to film screenings, live music and sports.
Les Arcs was built from scratch in 1968, the project of Chambery entrepreneur Roger Godino, mountain guide Robert Blanc and designer Charlotte Perriand. The cutting-edge design was inspired by Le Corbusier's Mouvement Moderne which was a huge influence on Perriand.
The celebration includes:
- December 15th 2018: Opening of the Aiguille Rouge footbridge
- December 23rd 2018: Inauguration of 'Ars Sonora', a musical sculpture with 19 bells created by the Paccard Foundry. At the swimming pool
- December 26th 2018: Party to mark the start of the 50th-anniversary celebrations in front of La Coupole in Arc 1600. From 16:00
- February 16th to March 11th 2019: Ski shows including demonstrations by ski instructors, torchlit descents and fireworks displays
- July 31st 2019: Special 50th-anniversary concert at Les Arcs Festival Academy
- August 7th-11th 2019: Fete du Golf
- December 14th 2019: New funicular inauguration
Other events include a documentary on Bernard Taillefer – Les Arcs' greatest architect, a rock and pop concert, the inauguration of La Coupole after its renovation and a conference by Charlotte Perriand. Dates to be confirmed.
More Les Arcs Insights...
- Les Arcs Dump Alert - 13th December 2019
- Les Arcs Dump Alert - 10th December 2019
- Les Arcs in December 2019 - What weather to expect & what to do
- Great pre-season snow conditions in Les Arcs
- Les Arcs Dump Alert - 8th November 2019
- What's new in Les Arcs winter 2019/20